Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

2012 Macbook Pro Running MX Linux, My Daily Now!!!

Started by retro junkie, May 03, 2024, 02:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

You cannot view this attachment.
It looks like my journey to find that "special path" to a long term secure computing experience has added a new element to the equation. Having successfully installed Linux on that old 2008 Macbook gave me inspiration and the old imagination gears started churning. My 2012 Macbook Pro was my daily for years. It pulled me from the Linux road, but the OS lost support, it expired, about the time I retired. When I retired I began doing a lot of my banking, bills, and taxes over the net. There was a growing concern for security which would be a need for OS support. It is too expensive to stay in that Apple ECO system. I need something long term and it not cost an arm and a leg. I am unwilling to take that old Macbook Pro ,wipe, and install anything else on it simply because I have so much "Mac Stuff" on it and it is MY Macbook, and it has an old Photoshop installed, and some other things I hold dear, etc. I just wouldn't be able to find anywhere else. I'm sure you understand? Right? Sooooooo........

I got on eBay. I need something to make into my Linux machine. A solution to what I am seeking. Lo and behold someone had a 2012 Macbook Pro up for sale. $60!!! And those pictures, it looks so clean. Wait a minute those hands in the photos, it is a girl that is selling it. The Seller name is female, hmmmm. There is one thing that I have learned, girls take good care of their stuff. I ordered and received it and it is mint, just-like-new, out-of-the-box, condition. Opening it up, the hinges are still tight. I was blown away. The battery only has been used 107 cycles and it is good. Booting from USB I have installed MX Linux 23.2 64bit, fit it like a glove, everything works, even the camera. I am typing this out on it now. That is one thing I love about MX Linux it detects and sets up everything, works out of the box. Or it has for me. It is based off of Debian. That is a big plus for me because I like Debian and I feel that it is a very stable Distro.

It is good to be back on a powerhouse computer again and using Linux full time. I have used the Chromebook for over a year now. And it does have its Pros and there are some big Cons. And I will still use the Chromebook even though it is a low powered device, but Linux is my long term solution. MX Linux 23.2 will have support for the next maybe five years. I plan on using either a flash drive or an SD card for all my saves. That way when I need to install the newest version of MX Linux, all I need to do is install. I won't have anything on this laptop. I will already have backup.

The Chromebook is an experience. There are a lot of things you can do with it as a casual user, but it is not a powerhouse that you can really sink your computing teeth into. I could still recommend it to someone only under certain circumstances, depends on their use. Right now my plans are to make this 2012 Macbook Pro my daily. Chromebook will cover banking, bills, etc, for now. I don't know, it may become just something to use over social media and net surfing, youtube, creating documents, listening to music. The limited power and the fact you use your email to open it up is a deal breaker, really, unless you set up a dummy email, not your main stuff. The Chromebook is great for schools and businesses and that is the thrust of the market for its use. Home personal use? One would have to consider how they use it. But for me I have my 2012 Macbook MX Linux and I am happy. I have my Mac Mini set up on a 32inch flatscreen for my desktop. I haven't stitched it over to Linux.........................yet........you better believe that I have thought about it the last couple of days. Might have to grab another one from eBay and experiment.
there is no spoon