Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

The Marvels

Started by BLUEVOODU, November 19, 2023, 05:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

The Marvels is now in theaters.  I'm curious if the movie contains resolutions to some of the scenarios in Secret Invasion.  Unfortunately, I will not have time to view this movie until Thanksgiving weekend.  I'm pumped to see this movie. There seems to be some negativity surrounding it from other reviews. I stopped reading reviewing.

Who else is excited?   Who else has viewed the movie?  Comments, Thoughts... post it up!

retro junkie

I am very reluctant concerning this movie. I was very disappointed in the Secret Invasion series. I will probably wait until it is shone on Disney+
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

Well... this came and went from theaters like lightning.  Disney gave up on it a few weeks back.  It was the worst grossing Marvel movie of all time, it appears.

We have yet to see it.  I'm not sure why it truly received bad ratings. I've heard it's decent and am still pumped to see it once it hits Disney+

BLUEVOODU

It looks like The Marvels are coming to Disney+ Early February ... 7th I believe.  We are going to watch it then.  I will post up after that... honestly looking forward to seeing the movie.

BLUEVOODU

As of February 7, 2024... The Marvels is on Disney+. 

We watched it last night... and I have to say, I'm not sure what people complained about.  It's pretty good.   I really think people are being too down and negative on movies.

We are never going to have the same feels and intensity as the original Iron Man and Hulk all the way through the Avengers End Game.   That was new, awesome, amazing... absolutely well done.  Even then, there were a couple movies more rough that others.

I get it. It's not the same. But it's pretty good.

I enjoyed it. It's at least worth a watch or two for sure.   Now, is it as rewatchable as the original Captain Marvel?  Not exactly.  We were able to rewatch that quite a few times... awesome music... etc. 

Thoughts, comments?  Post it up.

retro junkie

I finally sat down and watched this one. Maybe my tastes in movies are completely different.
My thoughts on this movie are,
It feels too much of a "Disney+" production quality.
It seems to be an extended episode of Ms Marvel.
It does not merit a theatrical release because of the above. I would have felt cheated if I paid the theater price to see this.
I can see, due to some elements in the movie, why it had movie audiences reject it. There were some awkward moments, one of those being the singing planet.
I will say that Fury somewhat redeemed himself in this one after, what I personally saw, in the "Secret Invasion" as a failure.
I also thought from the "Secret Invasion" series that somehow these were to be connected? That did not happen, my mistake? I guess I was expecting a different plot.
I felt like the movie was rushed and short, adding to the frustration of an "episode" feel.
There were some concepts here that I liked and I felt needed development and placed into a better, more fleshed out, written script. Speaking of the team of heroes. I get the message from the movie that this was a one time thing.
On the whole I did enjoy the movie to a certain extent. I enjoyed the comic book hero stuff. I think when you compare it to the release of the Avenger movies, it does not compare because in those movies there was the character development in which we saw and enjoyed. It was rich and well written, and directed. Disney is capable of producing those type of movies again if they would just take the time and stop cookie cutting these fast cheap productions. Yes I would like to see a second Captain Marvel movie. No I don't want a Disney channel kiddo quality version to insult my intelligence. That first Captain Marvel movie was good.

Maybe I hold Disney to a higher standard when it comes to my comic book hero movie expectations. I know that most of the DC movies have been somewhat lackluster but I have still enjoyed watching them. Maybe it is because I want to see a good production of those heroes and I have given up hope?
there is no spoon

Grindspine

I watched it a few days ago. I did not pay much mind to the Ms. Marvel series as I felt it was aimed toward a much younger audience. I may have gotten more out of the movie had I watched the series first. Kamela (Ms. Marvel) is pretty much an annoying fangirl; the actress plays the part well, but the character's place in the movie does not appeal to me much.

The action scenes were solid, the acting was somewhat good overall, the writing and directing had scenes jumping from one to another too quickly for the characters (or audiences) to digest what happened in the scene prior.

I didn't hate the movie. I didn't love it either. I think that it could have been better with some more careful directing.

BLUEVOODU

I think that's fair @Grindspine

@retro junkie you know - there was something special about that character building. The 1st series of movies up to avengers could never be replicated. The feels, the stories... just epic.  I think that's part of why people have had some issues with many of the newer Marvel movies.   It's just different. It'll never be recaptured.

I guess I'm at that point where I've resigned that point.  Now I sit back and just watch the movies for what they are. I do miss the original work-up at times.  Hard to believe how fast that time went.

Mai Valentine

I really enjoyed the Marvels but the singing planet part was a bit cringe even for me. I also don't think it's as rewatchable as Captain Marvel was, even though I do enjoy the cast of the Marvels a lot.

BLUEVOODU

Quote from: Mai Valentine on May 29, 2024, 08:33:02 AMI really enjoyed the Marvels but the singing planet part was a bit cringe even for me. I also don't think it's as rewatchable as Captain Marvel was, even though I do enjoy the cast of the Marvels a lot.
Captain Marvel was a great movie... they did an awesome job AND the music was great!  I agree with you... I don't think the Marvels will be as rewatchable.  There are several hilarious parts though... and the cast is great. 

Come on... you had to love the singing part LOL!  It was extremely hard to watch...  but I thought it was funny at the same time.  The cringe is real.

CreepinDeth

Finally watched this.

The singing planet section was okay. It didn't get to the point of annoyance for me. Seems they knew when to stop it. I feel like this movie was aimed for general audiences and that's why this was in it. My other theory is that because of Kamala, they tried to squeeze in an homage to Bollywood.

Overall, it's a movie with a few good moments but held back by a bad script. There are three main characters here and it definitely needed a longer runtime because of that. As others have mentioned, feels a bit rushed. The movie didn't get to breathe.

I give it a 6/10. Not horrible and I'd rather watch this than Thor: The Dark World but could've been better if it was treated with more respect.

In regards to the end credits scene:
Spoiler: ShowHide
Looks like Monica ended up in the Fox version of X-Men (ew, poor Monica). I got a feeling this scene and Deadpool 3 will tie in together somehow. I think we'll see Hugh Jackman one more time as Wolverine besides D3.