Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

Sony Q Handheld

Started by BLUEVOODU, October 08, 2023, 10:44:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUEVOODU

This isn't necessarily new news.  I wanted to add this topic for awhile now.  The Sony Q is a planned handheld that is not like the Vita or anything else.  It appears to simply be a Sony player like the functionality of the Vita where it allowed remote playing of games from the console on the same network. 

I like the concept, but I'd like to have this functionality in a new Vita style device.  I'm not sure how much of a market there is for this device. What are your thoughts?

I guess I always long for a new Vita.. but that could be my "preference" that maybe stems from happy memories. I can't say that's the case... but that may be the case.

Here's more information from theverge:
Sony's new Q handheld - theverge.com

Thoughts, Comments... post it up!

CreepinDeth

I have a couple of friends who have already pre-ordered it. The demand might not be high but it'll probably sell decently.

The remote streaming works really well. I use my Steam Deck for that purpose and the picture is pretty clean. It'll probably sell quite a bit when it eventually goes on sale.

retro junkie

I was always a "game only" console sort-of gamer. Whether it be handheld or home console, don't put any other feature on my system. Restrict my consoles to game only!  Then came along the Sony Vita, it ruined everything.  :(  I fell head over heels for that system. Man I used it for everything, gaming, skype, youtube, facebook, email, photos, etc. It was my all in one in my pocket. :great: I carried it everywhere, even on business trips to keep in touch at home with skype. It was the bomb. Then Sony dumped it, all the support crashed and I was left with a game system only. I miss that time however short it was, there has not been anything like it since. I did use it occasionally to do remote play.
That being said............

I would love a return to a Vita like device.
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth - have they shared any thoughts since release?

@retro junkie - this definitely is not a Vita replacement.  It's more-so a remote player for the PlayStation 5.  I'd love for this to be a new Vita that played PS5 games as well  ;D  this is truly a pipe dream.  I still play my Vita.  But maybe this is appropriate for you as well - it's better to have loved and lost than never have loved at all!   ;D

CreepinDeth

@BLUEVOODU I haven't asked about it and haven't seen any thoughts from them.

There is this video from Digital Foundry. They did a review on it. I did see a report that these sold out in a few places after 2 days. Seems there are a lot of people who find this convenient.

BLUEVOODU

@CreepinDeth --> cool video.  Oddly enough, I thought I replied to this already shortly after you posted it.  They dig into the Sony Q a bit.  In regard to the latency, "The Nintendo Wii U solved this back in 2012."  lol... Go Nintendo  :great:    It's interesting there is so much latency and having to account for the Internet and then device latency.  At this point... and a solved problem for over 10 years... it's amazing they didn't plan for this.

Play-Asia.com - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more