Chicken Dinner Gaming Community

2008 Macbook Unibody Running Linux?

Started by retro junkie, April 25, 2024, 10:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

retro junkie

Some years ago I was curious about Macbooks, Apple stuff, etc. I was wondering about the OS and started looking on eBay. I picked up a 2008 Macbook Unibody for around $20 to $25, can't remember exactly but it was cheap and the OS was outdated. I was able to learn and enjoyed playing and tinkering with it. I ended up sticking it away and purchasing a Macbook Pro with a supported OS. And it was my daily for many years.
Recently I started reading and watching Youtube videos about installing Linux on a Macbook. I had to dig out this old 2008 Macbook. And I downloaded the newest version of MX Linux and put it on a bootable USB. I held down the option key while turning on the laptop. I held the key down until the two options to boot appeared on the screen. Chose the USB drive and booted into the Linux install. It runs like a top. It fully makes this laptop up-to-date and very usable. This could be a good laptop for my daily. All it needs is a new battery. Linux has made this thing modern and breathed new life into it. Everything works but the camera, not sure, but I might have to do a bit of fiddling for that. But I do not need it really.
You cannot view this attachment.
there is no spoon

targetrasp

I've tried tons of different Linux distros on old, outdated stuff with some success. The tinkering required to get everything working as advertised can be extensive and for me usually becomes the reason the piece goes back into the junk pile. It's awesome to see some of that old tech back up and rolling.

BLUEVOODU

retro junkie

@BLUEVOODU i am using Xfce Desktop Environment/Window Manager on top of a Debian Stable base. I love it. The people that have produced the distro have put together a great package. What I really liked about it most is that it set everything up for me I did not have to tinker with anything. It recognized and installed all drivers. I have been using it on an old 32bit Lenovo IBM R60 laptop since last year. The Macbook and the Lenovo are two distinct configurations internally. I would think the Macbook would not be easy to have drivers, that is my assumptions being that it is Apple. when I can load up a distro and then began immediately start using it, they have my attention and loyalty. Different distros have their good and bad clashes when it comes to hardware during the boot and install process. I have had some that I want to use but could not get to even begin to install onto a particular computer, lock ups, freezing. Then try another distro and it installs without a hassle.
When I was making the decision on what distro to install on these Macbooks, I wanted tumbleweeds because it was a rolling distro, but it would lock up. Then I thought to myself, go with MX Linux, you like that, and it is Debian with the MX team's packaging. I have loaded some of my drawing program, Krita and GIMP. All ready have an office program installed, so I am good to go. Just simple casual computing. I game retro so no concerns there. I do think they have it where you can load up steam. But I do not game on my computers. I did go through a period where I experimented with emulation but I would rather have the real thing. And there are enough Chinese stuff out there for emulation that there is no need to tie up your computer with something like that. 
there is no spoon

BLUEVOODU

@retro junkie gotcha!  Xfce is pretty cool.   I've used mate, kde, gnome and others.  Xfce was always pretty nice.

IMO - Apple does a pretty good job with the Mac. One can argue one way or another at the value based off specs compared to a Windows machine ... and there are valid arguments both ways. However, Mac is pretty decent. Simple to use and operate in many ways.